Many famous painters throughout history were known to be fond of alcohol — and it was no different with absinthe. Painters drank it, enjoyed it, and even committed it to the canvas. Below, in chronological order, are paintings of absinthe by some of history’s most famous painters:
- The Absinthe Drinker by Édouard Manet. 1858.
- The Absinthe Drinker by Edgar Degas. 1873.
- Still Life with Absinthe by Vincent Van Gogh. 1887.
- Monsieur Boileau at the Café by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. 1893.
- The Green Muse by Albert Maignan. 1895.
- Woman Drinking Absinthe by Pablo Picasso. 1901.